Best-selling cookbook author Jamie Oliver’s latest, Ultimate Veg, is totally focused on vegetarian cuisine and cooking vegetables with love. The beautiful new book features vegetarian and many vegan recipes that are accessible for the home chef, focused on fresh produce, and deeply satisfying.
This bright, lime-y, cool vermicelli salad from the book is perfect for right now: It relies heavily on common pantry products and spices, and can be made with any crispy veg currently hanging out in your produce drawer. Jamie also mentions optionally adding silken tofu, which has been one of the only kinds of tofu I can find lately.
So, here’s Jamie’s recipe for Thai-style noodle salad, excerpted from Ultimate Veg for Tenderly.
Jamie Oliver’s Easy Thai-Style Noodle Salad
CRUNCHY VEG, LOADSA HERBS, SUPER-FRESH DRESSING, NUTS & SEEDS
Serves four, 20 minutes to make
- 7 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili jam
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sesame oil
- 4 scallions
- 1½ lbs mixed crunchy veg, such as carrots, bok choy, napa cabbage, radishes, endive, asparagus, sprouts
- 3 ounces unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Half a bunch of fresh mint (½ ounce)
- Half a bunch of fresh cilantro (½ ounce)
Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the ginger, then bash to a paste in a pestle and mortar. Finely grate in the lime zest and squeeze in the juice, then add the soy sauce, chili jam, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Muddle…